- It’s free to set up
- No inactivity charge or cash holding fee
- Yearly charge for holding investments is a maximum of 0.45%
- No charge to buy or sell funds
- Maximum cost of £11.95 for online share deals
- Hargreaves Lansdown boasts a wide variety and a long list of possible. These include:
- Over 3,000 funds available to choose from
- DIY fund
- Read-made portfolio options
The customer service features of Hargreaves Lansdown as a platform include:
- An easy to navigate website
- If you’re a first time investor there is a comprehensive “Begin with the Basics” page on the website which can walk you through the basics of opening your first investment ISA.
- This includes video resources which explain some key concepts for a first-time investor.
- They also have a fairly comprehensive “Contact Us” section, outlining ways you could solve potential problems with existing resources, such as their FAQ page and ways you can manage your account online.
- If your customer service needs are not met by this, there is a link to their contact email address as well as a helpdesk number. A table on the website allows you to select your issue, and it will tell you your contact options
Research & tools available
To find the ISA which is right for you, you can look at their “Fund Finder” page which allows you to search the available funds by name as well as applying certain filters. This is a great tool which you can use from the comfort of your own home to help you decide which fund or funds are right for you and your investment.
Is "Hargreaves Lansdown" The Best Place For Your Child's Junior ISA?
For this tax year (2020/2021) you can invest up to £9,000 in a tax-free wrapper for your child’s future in a Junior ISA.
If you’re looking to set up a JISA (Junior ISA) at Hargreaves Lansdown, then you need to know what costs, choice, customer service and research tools you can expect to get by going with this provider.
The charges associated with a JISA at Hargreaves Lansdown are:
For Funds (on value of fund):
- 0.45% charge on the first £250,000 investment
- 0.25% on investments between £250,000-£1 million
- 0.1% charge on investments between £1 million and £2 million
- No charge on investment fund values over £2 million
- There is 0.45% charge for shares including UK and international shares, including investment trusts and exchange-traded funds, VCTs, gilts and bonds.
- This charge is capped at £45 per year, so that is the maximum you would be expected to pay.
- No dealing charge for buying and selling funds
- £5.95 per deal for online and mobile app share dealing
In terms of fund choices, much like the standard ISA, you can choose from:
- Over 3000 funds, so you have plenty of options
- Both UK and international shares
- Investment trusts
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs)
The customer service for JISAs is the same as the customer service provided for general ISAs. They also provide FAQs specifically tailored to the JISA product, so you can look there for information. This also includes Investment ideas, which can be helpful for a first-time investor.
Research & tools available
Hargreaves Lansdown has a page on their website specifically dedicated to JISA accounts, which contains lots of information you may want to look at before opening a JISA with this provider. This includes:
- Their charges
- Investment ideas
- A calculator function
- Information on transferring a JISA
- Facility to open a Junior ISA
- Facility to top up a Junior ISA